Absinthe Fever's Open Forum

Home > All about absinthe > How to drink absinthe

Showing message 17 of 24 posted to:

First Time With The Green Fairy

-- By  Dean in  PA on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 at 02:45.

The first time I ever drank Absinthe I knew almost nothing about it except I had heard a rumor that it was what inspired Van Gogh (and also what contributed to his madness). My buddy and I stole the bottle from his parents liquor cabinet and dumped about 6-7 shots worth in our glasses. We didn't know any better, at that time even thinking it was still illegal. Immediately after we drank we started to realize how different it was from any other type of alcohol. I fell in love with the green fairy that day and I have made it my mission drink it like the poets used to for inspiration. It is truly divine.

Show all messages (24) posted to
the "How to drink absinthe" page

Copyright © 2006 AbsintheFever.com Contributors.
All Rights Reserved.

The original way to drink absinthe
Drinking absinthe the original way: dilute with chilled water which you slowly pour into your glass over a cube of sugar. Other ways to drink absinthe were invented since the time of this classic promotional poster by Bensa-Dupont. (Picture: Bibliotheque Forney, Paris)

More absinthe information...

About the ways to drink absinthe

The Buy Absinthe .Net guide has further tips on how to make a glass of absinthe in the traditional French manner, plus some amusing pieces of trivia about the absinthe-drinking culture of the 19th century. The same page also gives recipes for a few classic absinthe cocktails you might want to try. 'Death in the Afternoon' anyone?

Absinthe Fever Absinthe information & community
Search Absinthe Fever
Absinthe bar
Absinthe Fever Absinthe drink About this website
Questions about absinthe answered... plus open forum.

What is absinthe?

What is the history of absinthe?

What is wormwood?

How about thujone?

What are the effects of absinthe?

Is absinthe an aphrodisiac?

Is absinthe a strong alcohol?

How do I drink absinthe?

What is "La Louche" ritual?

What is an absinthe fountain?

Inspiring, poetic, artistic...

The freedom-loving Green Fairy...